ABWB


     Mansbach’s Angry Black White Boy is arguably one of the craziest books that we’ve read all semester. For each book with maybe the exception of As I Lay Dying I had a decent idea for where the story was going. I guess that’s the point of the class, to take apart each story and look at the similar arcs and stuff. What I’m trying to say is I was confused for all of ABWB. I think the reason has to do with Macon not being a usual hero. Throughout his journey, Macon makes many questionable decisions that stray from the normal hero activities. Most questionable of all of course are his actions with the white supremacist gang.
     As I read the final scenes, I felt uneasy. I’m sure I’m not the only one who felt this way. From all the stories I’ve seen and read, I think I’ve grown accustom to the ironic plot twist where the rough appearance of a character doesn’t match their kind personality, but that was not the case. The characters were twisted in their interactions with Macon and Leo. The most uncomfortable part was the echoing of real life. So much of the time racism in the U.S. is swept under the rug forgotten about because we think if we’re above it than how can people still have racist thoughts of their own. Macon travelled from Boston, to New York, and down to the South each time encountering a different type of racism. At first he confronted it with resilience, but when he was forced to finally confront outright racism, he caved.
     When a group has power in numbers, similarly to how the white characters held power against Leo and Macon, there isn’t much hope for a resistance. Macon hesitated to, but did not stop himself from beating and humiliating Leo even after preaching about how he would not turn no matter the cost. Most people want to be seen as the champion, voice of the people without a voice, just like Macon tried to be for the majority of the book. But just like Macon, I think most people wouldn’t stay as strong when faced with hardship.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! I agree with you that this novel was the craziest and unpredictable novels that we've read in class. I thought that the whole purpose of the novel itself was proving the point that you are making. As I say in my blog post, I think Mansbach is warning the readers of the potential dangers of a figure like Macon. While the ideas he stands for are good, the actions he chooses to take dirties the ideas that he stands for. Just like the ending of the novel shows, and as you state, most people can't stay as strong when faced with such hardships as becoming the voice of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sure was crazy. I think one of the lessons we learned in Heroes Journey was to rethink the idea of a heroes narrative as a whole. From who can be a hero to how much is necessary for a hero to become a hero. Could you consider Macon a hero because of the, although ultimately failed, impact his movement had? Is it unnatural to see a hero that never backs down? Is the clairvoyant nature of the narrator, such as in "As I Lay Dying" with Darl, realistic? I think it's an interesting discussion to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tbh I was not suprised that Macon would cave in. I read an article written by white NBA star Kyle Korver and he said that he can call out racism at NBA games all he wants, but he can also easily camouflage to the other side, and that is what makes Macon's character throughout most of the book problematic, and so the odds of Macon caving in is bigger than not caving in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts