O


     This week was different from our usual routine of nightly readings and in-depth discussion in class. It was nice change since for the most part this week was heavy on the workload. Instead of the usual shenanigans we watched O Brother Where Art Thou. If I had watched this movie before this semester I would’ve been so confused and a little annoyed. Instead I was confused and appreciative of the movie. The movie is a perfect combination of absurdity and genius. In the context of The Odyssey, it makes so much sense. The parallels aren’t perfect, but the fact that they’re there is impressive enough.
     My favorite scene from The Odyssey was the scene was the competition between the suitors. I liked that scene because while I don’t think the scene is supposed to be humorous I found it very funny. Reactions of the suitors in mob mentality were ridiculous. It seemed that stringing the bow was a test of masculinity and immediately after they all failed they asserted themselves by taking control of the palace and feasting on Odysseus’ food. Picturing them in my head was funny because it was like a bunch of little kids that are unsure of themselves but also trying to prove themselves, an odd combination. I was sad to see it go in the movie, but I’m not sure how it would’ve worked.
     Overall, I’d give O Brother Where Art Thou 7 wandering Odysseus’ out of 10. And I'd give this week 12 angry Poseidons out of 10.

Comments

  1. It really does help to think of the suitors as a bunch of kids with fragile egos. Their reaction to Odysseus's bow stringing is to soften the blow to their prides by doing something unrelated to prove themselves again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. While I found the movie hilarious (and extremely impressive despite its non-reverential tone), I think if I had seen it before dissecting the Odyssey in class, I would have been completely thrown off. I remember I felt that many of the scenes felt unrelated, or surprising (for example, the KKK are introduced and become the main villains half an hour from the end of the movie) but in the context of the island-hopping story of the Odyssey, the story makes much more sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You raise good points. After thoroughly enjoying the movie in class (especially Everett's wit) I asked my dad if he had watched the movie before. He said he did but he didn't really understand/like it. I feel that it really helped to have read the epic before watching the movie, because that allowed us to appreciate the subtle and blatant connections. Overall, I'd give the movie an 8.5 wandering Odysseus' out of 10 (the man of constant sorrow song bumps it up 1.5).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The part of the archery contest I remember most clearly is the part where Odysseus, still disguised, picks up the bow. He is met with mockery and abuse by the suitors. The suitors seem to feel a mix of "how dare this random (surprisingly buff) beggar intrude on our noble contest" and "it's not like he'll do any better, stop wasting everyone's time." I think this fits with stringing the bow as a test of masculinity that they have failed, and that they are being sore losers about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also missed the archery contest from the Odyssey. However I'm not completely sure how they would be able to effectively incorporate it into the movie considering the setting. If we had the archery scene all the characters go to jail and Pappy O'Donald doesn't win the election. Also, unlike in the Odyssey, we aren't given scenes to make us hate the suitors in O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Overall, I'd give it 8 Wandering Odysseus's out of 10.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts